Winners of 2012 Design Achievement Awards Announced
Toronto (Canada) - Adobe, in collaboration with Icograda, announced the winners of the 12 annual Adobe Design Achievement Awards (ADAA) at an awards ceremony held on 9 November 2012 in Toronto, Canada. The awards honour the most talented and promising student graphic designers, photographers, illustrators, animators, digital filmmakers, developers and computer artists from higher education institutions worldwide who have created individual or group projects with Adobe software.Design education faculty was also recognised in award categories honouring teaching excellence. The ADAAs received 4968 submissions overall this year from more than 70 countries - making this year the biggest yet since the competition began in 2001.
For the fourth consecutive year, Adobe collaborated with Icograda to attract submissions from the Icograda Education Network, and select an international panel of design experts to judge the prestigious awards.
The awards ceremony was hosted by DesignThinkers (DT) conference, organized by Registered Graphic Designers of Ontario (RGD). The ADAA Finalists attended the DT conference, toured Toronto studios and observed a lecture at the Toronto International Film Festival's Bell Lightbox.
On 9 November 2012 , the awards ceremony honoured students and educators whose projects were selected from among 41 finalists. Winners were recognised in 16 categories across Interactive Media, Mobile Design, Video and Motion, and Traditional Media.
- Sean Adams and Noreen Morioka of AdamsMorioka
- Mick Kanfi of Twist Image
- Pum and Jake Lefebure of Design Army
- Susan Bradley from Pixar
- Kris Sowersby of Klim Type Foundry
- Stefan Sagmeister of Sagmeister & Walsh Inc.
- Harry Pearce of Pentagram
- Browser-Based Design: Vanessa Li, Sheridan College, Canada
- Non-Browser Based Design: Soyoung Lee and Eunjoon Lee, Hongik University, South Korea
- Application Development: Bram Monstrey, Howest, Belgium
- Mobile Design: Kristen Southwell, North Carolina State University, United States
- Game Design: Mitchell Brien and Finnian Millour, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- Installation Design: James Coltman, Benio Urbanowicz and Dan Jones, University of Arts London, United Kingdom
- Animation: Ainslie Henderson, Edinburgh College of Art, Scotland
- Live Action: Christopher Lavelle, Sunderland University, United Kingdom
- Motion Graphics: Michael Rigley, Califronia College of Arts, United States
- Illustration: Yeni Kim, Royal College of Art, United Kingdom
- Packaging: Richelle Rogers, York University/Sheridan College, Canada
- Photography: Pablo Jiminez, Academy of Art University, United States
- Print Communications: Jeff Han, Art Center College of Design, United States
Design Education Faculty Awards
- Innovation of Interactive Media in Education: Anna Zyrianova, St.Petersburg State Academy of Art and Design, Russia
- Innovation in Video and Motion in Education: Hector Herrera, Ontario College of Art and Design, Canada
- Innovation in Traditional Media in Education: Kyuha Shim, Rhode Island School of Design, United States
Winning and finalist projects can be viewed at the ADAA Gallery, along with those from previous years. The work of the 2012 finalists was also showcased in a special gallery for the duration of the DT conference.
This year's winners were selected by a global panel of industry judges based on originality, effectiveness in meeting the communication objective, and contestant(s) skills in applying Adobe products. Faculty entries were judged on educational innovation in teaching impact and the development of applications to better an overall educational administrative or curricular experience for the students and public they serve.
Judging PanelThe international panel of judges consisted of:
- Stephen Johnson, Art Director, Martha Stewart Omnimedia, United States
- Gregoire Cliquet, Professor and Department head of READI, L'Ecole de design Nantes Atlantique, France
- Nancy Juliber, Strategic Creative Media Marketing Executive, United States
- Mickael Kanfi, Partner and Chief Product Officer, Twist Image, Canada
- Richard Loveless, Visiting Professor, Nanyang Technology University, Singapore
- Susan Metros, Professor, University of Southern California, United States
- Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Game Design, Interactive Media, Synesthesia, Q Entertainment, Japan
- Ravi Naidoo, Founder and Managing Director, Interactive Africa / Design Indaba, South Aftrica
- Hepzibah Pathak, President, Ogilvy & Mather Advertising, India
- Fernanda Saboia, Creative Director, Tatil Design, Brazil
- Tina Shaw, Video Production Manager/Creative Director, NBC Universal Digital Entertainment/Liquid Filmworks, United States
For a complete list of the 2012 judging panel, visit the ADAA page. View judges' commentary on the 2012 Adobe Design Achievement Awards.
PrizesIndividual winners and leaders of groups received a US$3000 cash prize, winner's certificate and trophy, round-trip airfare to Toronto, and lodging during the 2012 DesignThinkers conference.
Additionally, individual winners received a copy of Adobe Creative Suite 6 Master Collection software; group winners each received his/her choice of Creative Suite 6 Design Premium, Creative Suite 6 Web Premium or Creative Suite 6 Production Premium education version software.
Student individual winners and leaders of groups are appointed to the Icograda Youth Advisory Panel and receive a one-year mentorship with a design leader from the Icograda network.
For more information please contact:
T +1 514 448 4949 x 230