The Shenzhen Design Award is supported by the Organising Committee of the Shenzhen Design Week, and organised by the Shenzhen City of Design Promotion Association (SDPA).
While its most eye-catching feature is the total prize of 10,000,000 CNY, SDA strives to brand and promote the winning designs and their authors through various activities, such as tour of exhibitions, constant media coverage, and more. Thus, SDA will become one important and effective window through which foreign designers and design institutions could enter the huge Chinese market.
Each entrant can submit maximum 10 entries and entries must fulfil the following criteria:
1. Entries must be projects that are fully constructed, completed, on the market or being mass-produced. Entries’ completion date must be between 1 January 2017 and 31 December 2019.
2. Entries must comply with relevant scientific and technological standards.
3. Projects that are conceptual, or still under construction, or not commercially developed, or unfinished displays including models, renderings, etc. are NOT eligible as entries.
4. Entries must be submitted by the project’s owner/client/brand owner/designer/design consultancy, and the same project can be submitted by one entrant ONLY. If one entry involves more than one party, it is necessary to submit a contract or an agreement between relevant parties to confirm the entrant and state clearly the settlement of possible prize money. Otherwise the entrant will be disqualified.
5. Projects that have participated in the previous SDA are NOT eligible as entries for the 2020 SDA.
SDA targets designers and design companies who aims to enter or expand the Chinese market, develop projects and relationships in Shenzhen or other cities, communicate with other design professionals and agencies, and promote their brand and concept in and outside the design industry. Projects that are conceptual, or still under construction, or not commercially developed, or unfinished displays including models, renderings, etc. are NOT eligible as entries.
Each panel consists of world-leading designers, managers of design organisations, editors of design magazines or digital media, or professors of leading design institutes from different countries and cities. Jury members are recommended by supporting organisations and the SDA Advisory Committee and invited by the SDA Organising Committee. Biographies of jury members will be announced on the official website at least one month before the judging dates. The chairmen and vice-chairmen of each jury are elected by the jurors at the first review meeting. The Chairmen of the panels will be responsible for convening the meetings, monitoring the assessment procedure and delivering the final results. The chairmen and vice-chairmen of four Juries will form the special final jury and select the winner of the "Special Award for Sustainable Development”.
(For all categories)
One Special Award for Sustainable Development: CNY 500,000
(For each category)
One Gold Award: CNY500,000
Three Silver Awards: CNY300,000 each
Five Bronze Awards: CNY100,000 each
Ten Nomination Awards: Honorary Prize
- The payment of the award will be arranged after the SDA Awarding Ceremony and paid in accordance with fiscal regulations and tax procedures of the People's Republic of China. Taxes of up to 20% may be levied on winnings.
- The payment of the prize could take up to 6 months (starting from the second day of the Awarding Ceremony). Winners are required to provide all the materials needed for the payment to the SDA Secretariat before deadline. If submission of materials is delayed, the recipient of the prize changes or any other situation happens on the winner's account, the SDA Secretariat has the right to postpone the payment and the Secretariat's explanation shall be final.
- International winners are strongly suggested to receive the prize via personal bank account. If recipient differs from the winner, a signed/stamped authorization letter is required for payment.
Winners will be invited to attend the award presentation ceremony and exhibition during Shenzhen Design Week and meet jurors and other design icons in person. Finalists and winners will be acknowledged in the SDA exhibition and collection book and be exposed on official website and wechat account of SDA.
Finalists will be announced on wechat account and official website within 3 days after final judging is over. Winners list will be officially announced at the award ceremony.
SDA 2020 exhibition is scheduled to be held in Shenzhen in late April 2020 during Shenzhen Design Week.