Shenzhen Global Design Award
ico-D is pleased to endorse the 2nd Shenzhen Global Design Award (SDA), organised by the Shenzhen City of Design Promotion Association (SDPA), and supported by the Organizing Committee of the Shenzhen Design Week.
In parallel with the Shenzhen Design Week, the Shenzhen Global Design Award is organised to recognise and reward outstanding designers and to enhance exchanges between designers at home and abroad. The Awards aim to discover designers with creativity, vision, foresight, and influence. It also aims to enhance the exchanges and cooperation among all designers from different countries and inspire the industrialization of creative designs as well as the promotion of creative design concept.
Featuring a total prize of 10,000,000 CNY, SDA strives to brand and promote the winning designs and their authors through various activities, such as a tour of exhibitions, constant media coverage, etc. Thus, SDA will become one important and effective window through which foreign designers and design institutions could enter the huge Chinese market.
The theme for 2019: Design for Sustainability
The 2nd SDA targets 5 categories:
- Industrial & Product
See PDF for a detailed description of all the categories
8 January 2019 – 20 March 2019: Call for entries
20 March 2019: Online registration deadline
(Note: Overseas entrants planning to submit tangible objects must complete online registration before 17:00 28 February 2019 (Beijing Time) in order to ship the objects in time. If there is delay, please send a message to the Secretariat via )
28 February 2019: Screening for first batch
21 March 2019: Screening for second batch
25 March 2019: Tangible projects submission deadline (Arrival date at the secretariat)
30 March 2019: Final Judging
19 April 2019: Awarding ceremony
REGISTRATION AND APPLICATION
Entrants must register on the official website of the Award (www.s-d-a.org) and submit supporting documents (all materials must be written in English) before Beijing time 17:00, 20 March 2019 (Overseas entrants planning to submit tangible objects must complete online registration before Beijing Time 17:00, 28 February 2019) by following the steps below:
- Register and create your account, read and agree to the terms & conditions;
- Log in your account, complete information of designer and projects, upload profile photos and project materials;
- Deliver tangible projects and make sure “entry label” is attached and the projects arrive at the designated warehouse before 17:00 25 March 2019 Beijing time.
Please do NOT deliver projects to the Secretariat office! Address of the warehouse will be sent to entrant’s registered email together with confirmation of passing the phase one evaluation.
After materials pass the examination of the Secretariat, entrants must submit the supporting and other legal documents requested by the SDA Secretariat by Beijing time 17:00, 29 March 2019. The template may be downloaded from the SDA official website.
In the case of shipping delays, entrants may notify the Secretariat by sending a message to the official email address, by Beijing Time 17:00 29 March 2019.
ELIGIBILITIES AND PREREQUISITES
The competition is open to individual designers, teams and companies.
Each entrant can submit maximum 10 entries and entries must fulfill the following criteria:
- Entries must be projects that are fully constructed, completed, on the market or being mass-produced. Entries’ completion date must be between 1 January 2016 and 31 December 2018.
- Entries must comply with relevant scientific and technological standards.
- Projects that are conceptual, or still under construction, or not commercially developed, or unfinished displays including models, renderings, etc. are NOT eligible as entries.
- Entries must be submitted by the project’s owner/client/brand owner/designer/design consultancy, and the same project can be submitted by one entrant ONLY. If one entry involves more than one party, it is necessary to submit a contract or an agreement between relevant parties to confirm the entrant and state clearly the settlement of possible prize money. Otherwise, the entrant will be disqualified.
- Projects that have participated in the inaugural SDA are NOT eligible as entries for the second SDA.
AWARDS AND PRIZES
(For all categories)
One Special Award for Sustainable Development, CNY 500,000
(For each category)
One Gold Award, CNY500,000
Three Silver Awards, CNY300,000 each
Five Bronze Awards, CNY100,000 each
Ten Nomination Awards, Honorary Prize
- The "Special Award for Sustainable Development” is set up in order to reinforce the public interest and future-oriented nature of SDA. This special award winner will be named by the special final jury composed of the chairmen and vice-chairmen of four Juries, one for each category.
- Winner of the Special Awards will be chosen from all entries and are not limited to projects that have already received other awards. Winners of the Special Awards can also be winners of other awards.
- All prizes are pre-tax amount. All prizes are subject to income tax in accordance with local law, or SDA Secretariat can pay the prize after paying tax on winners’ behalves.
Winners should be:
(I)original, experimental, exploratory and forward-looking; proposing creative ideas for future development;
(II)public-oriented, practical, eco-friendly and recyclable; proposing new urban living concepts;
(III)pioneering, dynamic, facilitative and transformative; improving the efficiency of industrial development
(IV)influential, attracting wide international attention;
(V)Criteria for Sustainable Development Special Award refer to the 15 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)in the 2030 Agenda promoted by the UNESCO. The award goes to the project that can best help realize these goals.