I am a Kanji
Two of the expected four volumes were published in Japan, in October 2009 and October 2010. In 2008, and after seven years in Japan, Antoine returned to Lebanon. and under the support and encouragement of the Embassy of Japan in Lebanon, he exhibited the Kanji illustrations: October in Beirut and November in Tripoli (North of Lebanon).
Antoine also developed the Kanji workshop of visual communication which was taught 13 times in 11 countries. Around 230 students
attendant the workshop, this exhibition shows a selection from (around) one thousand visuals that Antoine and the students have produced since 2007.
Workshops led by Antoine:
- 2011, June 13 to 17: Kenya for Japan, Poster for Tomorrow Pan African workshops, BIFA, Nairobi, Kenya.
- 2011, Sept. 15: Kanji through illustrations, Peru for Japan, USIL, Lima, Peru.
- 2011, Sept. 28, 29: Kanji e o traço Maranhense, Brazil for Japan, FEST, Maranhão, Brazil.
- 2012, February 21 to March 2: South Africa for Japan, Greenside Design Center College of Design, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 2012, February 29: Kanji through illustrations, Design workshop, NEMISA, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 2012, July 6 to 13: Thailand for Japan, Assumption University, Bangkok, Thailand.
- 2012, October 15, 19, 22 and November 2: Lebanon for Japan, ALBA, Beirut, Lebanon.
- 2012, November 26 to 30: Greece for Japan, AAS, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- 2013, February 26 to March 1, April 2 to 5: Lebanon for Japan, ALBA, Beirut, Lebanon.
- 2013, March 11 to 13: India for Japan, Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, India.
- 2013, May 20 to 24: I am Kanji, HKBU, Hong Kong.
- 2013, September 9 to 13: Idéogrammes Japonais, ESAV, Marrakech, Morocco.
- 2013, October 21 to 25: 「奈良から世界へ」Nara Japan for the world, Nara University of Education, Japan.
Antoine will be a speaker in the Educational Platform Meeting in HKDI and decided to exhibit the works of all the students he taught in Hong Kong. “The Educational Platform Meeting in HKDI is a good opportunity to show all the represented universities in the meeting a good example of collaboration, furthermore, it opens
new opportunities of future collaborations. In addition, the Chinese Audience understands the visual pun in these works better than others and will appreciate it even more. In fact, my teaching experience in HKBU was very positive, and the students were very happy with the workshop.”
Antoine ABI AAD, Ph.D.
Lecturer - Coordinator, Advertising and Graphic Design
ALBA, Académie Libanaise des Beaux Arts, University of Balamand
Each year, Icograda endorses a select group
of activities internationally that advance our objective to promote the
value of design. Endorsed events demonstrate that they enhance the
standards of design, professional practice and ethics.
To learn more about Endorsements, visit here.