Faculty, Digital Engagement - Visual Communication Design | Alberta College of Art + Design (ACAD)
Alberta College of Art + Design (ACAD) welcomes applications for the following five (5) year term faculty appointment starting August 2018: Faculty, Digital Engagement - Visual Communication Design
The Limited Term Appointment (LTA), Digital Engagement Visual Communication Design (VCD), will deliver and help design ACAD’s curricula in digital design and human interaction. It comes at a pivotal time as the School of Communication Design continues to innovate and increase value in its course offerings.
The Alberta College of Art + Design (ACAD), founded in 1926, is one of Canada’s most distinguished training grounds in art, craft, and design. ACAD offers a broad and dynamic spectrum of study at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Its 14 academic departments offer courses in diverse disciplines including art history, theory, and criticism; ceramics; fibre; glass; jewellery and metals; painting and drawing; performance; photography; printmaking; sculpture; sound; media arts; graphic design; advertising; character design and illustration. In addition to studio-based education and training, a strong program in liberal studies emphasises the critical role that the humanities and social sciences can play in students’ development.
ACAD offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Innovation and renewal in our curriculum is an ongoing process that responds to cultural and technological shifts in arts, crafts and design practice on students’ curricular needs. Our faculty is comprised of renowned professionals who are first-class instructors as well as active practitioners. As leaders in their fields, they are committed to building a diverse, stimulating environment for the exchange of ideas and the acquisition of technical skills and crafts.ACAD is located in Calgary, Alberta in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Calgary is a cosmopolitan urban centre, with a diverse population of over 1.2 million people. This vibrant city has outstanding post-secondary and cultural institutions as well many varied recreational opportunities.
About the School of Communication Design at ACAD
We believe in the value of a professionally focused, studio-based design education, and the importance of portfolio. Our Alumni speak to the quality and history of our program: Sam Weber, Riley Rossmo, Fiona Staples, Jillian Tamaki, Doug Fraser, Tim Okamura, Eddie Guy, Ali Truch and Kim Biggs, Thomas Porostocky, Chase Toole, and Matt Luckhurst, to name a few. SCD Faculty are leading figures in the international design industry and dedicated educators who are mentoring and developing Canada’s next group of award-winning innovators.
Students in the School of Communication Design gain the skills to become successful practicing professionals and industry leaders – locally, nationally and. internationally. They are capable of authorship, critical and creative thinking, and generate original content with an individual voice and an entrepreneurial intent. Successful graduates see the design profession not only as a means of a livelihood, but also as a rewarding career that can positively, ethically and meaningfully contribute to commerce, culture, and society.
Faculty in VCD should have a strong understanding of a wide range of design practices and will be expected to teach at all levels of the program. Along with full-time teaching, the successful candidate will be expected to work with permanent faculty to develop curriculum, investigate and integrate new approaches into classes, participate in committee work at ACAD, and continue their own creative practice and research.
LTA Faculty will demonstrate a passion for creativity, innovation and continued commitment to the art and design industry. There is an expectation to assist students with the development of their individual practice and to work both individually and as part of an instructional team.
This new opportunity requires expertise in:
¬ Curriculum planning and course development specific to digital communications and interaction design.
¬ Some or all of the following areas (in order of importance):
Human Centered Design Thinking and User Experience, Digital Strategy, Digital Storytelling, Game Design, Interface Design, Information Architecture, Digital Environments, Digital Advertising and Campaigns, Digital Typography, Application Design, Digital Production, Content Management, Digital Workflows, Technology Planning, Assessment Methodologies, Prototyping, Social Media Marketing and Community Management, SEO, SEM, Asset Optimization, Digital Design Fundamentals, Information Design and Data Visualization.
• Teaching at all levels of the Bachelor of Design program in Graphic Design/Advertising and Illustration/Character Design
• Collaborating with and assisting faculty in developing opportunities for enhanced digital engagement
• Lead digital curriculum development in the School of Communication Design and contribute to the strategic initiatives of ACAD’s Office of Research and Academic Affairs
• Maintain an active professional/applied research practice
• Contribute to applied research and scholarship in the field
• Demonstrate a commitment to continuing pedagogical and academic excellence and innovation
• Provide service to the Faculty and College governance framework, including outreach activities that contribute to the academic life and profile of the College
The successful candidate will have:
• Completed a graduate degree or in the process of completing a graduate degree in a relevant academic discipline
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the post-secondary level at all levels for a preferred minimum of three (3) years and having taught relevant courses in digital communications
• A minimum of three (5) years of applied research and relevant professional practice outside of post-secondary education
• Demonstrated experience creating innovative curricula and new programs, preferably in digital communications and interaction design
• Demonstrated sound knowledge of history, theory and criticism with respect to digital and social media engagement
• A strong understanding of concept-driven and strategic creative on multiple platforms
• Demonstrated experience with a broad range of clients and projects
• Demonstrable commitment to innovation in teaching and learning, as well as an active engagement in scholarly and creative activities
• The ability to facilitate collaboration in studio production or research
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, time management, and organizational skills
• Community-minded and team oriented attitude
This position is subject to final budgetary approval.
How to Apply
Please submit applications via our careers page. The application must include:
• A current cover letter
• An updated CV that lists teaching experience (including classes taught) and evidence of an active professional/research practice (e.g. creative activities and/or publications, etc)
• A digital portfolio of recent professional work containing twenty (20) images accompanied by a corresponding numbered list including titles, medium and size
• A digital portfolio of student work containing twenty (10) images
• A statement outlining your teaching philosophy
• A statement outlining your current research
Letters of recommendation are not required with application but will be requested at a later stage, if application is successful.
Academic transcripts are not required with application, however certified transcripts are required before an offer of employment is made in accordance with the ACAD Faculty Association Collective Agreement.
Applications must be submitted in one single PDF document.
Once you have created an account, choose the “Upload Resume” option. You will only be able to upload one file, so make sure all required material is combined into a single PDF document. Incomplete submissions may not be considered. Once you have submitted your application, you will not be able to make changes or add additional documents. Please visit ACAD’s How to Apply page to ensure your application is complete prior to submission.
Review of applications will begin on January 2nd, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled or the search is closed.
Further information about the College is available on our website at www.acad.ca.
The collection of personal information is for the purpose of determining eligibility and suitability for employment as authorised by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act, section 33(c). If you have any questions about the collection of your information, please contact Human Resources at or (403)284-7683.