Directions of Digital Outreach and Communications WORLD DESIGN SUMMIT – Montréal 2017 (WDSM)
WORLD DESIGN SUMMIT – MONTRÉAL 2017
Position: Directions of Digital Outreach and Communications WORLD DESIGN SUMMIT – Montréal 2017 (WDSM)
Place of work
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Deadline for applications: August 5, 2016 at 5PM
Duration of employment: from August 22, 2016 to December 22, 2017
Work schedule: Full time
Core function: Social Media and Communications
Additional function: Marketing
Minimum relevant experience: 6-7 years
Minimum education: Bachelor's degree
Languages: English and French
Other conditions: All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. The World Design Summit Organization (WDSO) embraces equity, diversity and gender equality in the workplace.
The World Design Summit – Montréal 2017 (WDSM) is a large-scale event that will bring together in Montréal, from October 16 to 25, 2017, a large number of design experts, clients and enthusiasts from the world over, under the general theme: "10 Days to Change the World". Architects, designers and urban planners will get together with a common objective: to devise innovative and practical solutions to the energy and environmental challenges of the 21st century, and present these solutions to business and government decision-makers and the public at large.
The World Design Summit – Montréal 2017 involves:
• 500,000 visitors expected to attend the "Colours of Design" activities
• 1,500,000 visitors expected to enjoy the World Design Summit venues, websites, social media, events and activities.
We are seeking a proven bilingual leader and accomplished communicator to become our Director of Digital Outreach and Communications.
The ideal candidate must be able to develop and implement communications ideas, strategies, tactics and products designed to create an awareness of, understanding of and appreciation for the way in which the Summit programme and activities can: raise the profile of issues raised during the Summit; inspire design industry stakeholders and clients as well as the general public; convince decision-makers; and foster positive change regarding the great 21st century challenges such as climate change, energy and the environment.
The preferred candidate will also have experience identifying and reacting to media and digital trends and opportunities, using data to drive decision-making, a passion for telling great stories and the eloquence required to do so.
As WDSM Director of Digital Outreach and Communications, you will be joining a multidisciplinary team made up of passionate people from all over Canada and the world. In that respect, and given the very nature of this global event, a relevant international experience will be a valuable asset.
• Planning, implementing and evaluating the WDSM communications and digital outreach programme, including strategies, tactics, budgets, objectives and milestones;
• Providing vision and leadership for a dynamic communications and digital outreach programme during the preparation and implementation phases of the Summit as well as establishing objectives and work-plans for the collaborators of the Public Relations and Communications Committee.
• Overseeing communications in all media used by the WDSM, including the website and social media, to ensure quality and consistency of all communications products and activities including press releases, media advisories, press statements, articles, reports, photo, video, audio, digital content and participant and partner communications.
• Implementing an efficient and effective approvals process for communications products while ensuring strong communications principles are incorporated into activity planning across the organization.
• Ensuring rigorous risk assessment as relates to communications and public relations for the WDSM.
• Developing and implementing effective evaluation and reporting mechanisms for all aspects of communications and digital outreach, including the development and reporting of key performance indicators.
• Supporting the implementation of the Summit model, including providing ongoing support to other WDSM team members.
• Building and maintaining relationships with other NGOs, grassroots groups, and individuals as related to the communications and digital mobilization program.
• As required, representing the WDSM in dealings with the media, social media and official representatives of WDSM partners, advertisers and participants.
Required Skills, Competencies, Knowledge and Experience
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public speaking and presentation skills, as well as strong active listening skills; the ability to communicate effectively in both English and French is essential;
• Good interpersonal and networking skills, both verbal and written;
• Superior organizational, administrative and time management skills;
• Proven ability to thrive in a dynamic, multidisciplinary and multitasking environment;
• Good knowledge of digital mobilization trends and tools;
• Experience developing, planning, implementing, and evaluating communications and digital
outreach strategies that advance organizational goals;
• Experience leading communication work including crisis communications;
• Proven experience leading, directing, managing and motivating a diverse team of staff in the
areas of communication and digital outreach;
• Experience in a position which required highly tuned analytical and judgment skills;
• Experience preparing, monitoring and controlling budget expenditures;
• Proven experience in working in national and international environments;
• Knowledge and understanding of WDSM of objectives and guiding principles;
• Knowledge of those energy and environmental issues and challenges that can be resolved or alleviated through the reasoned application of design principles is an asset, as well as an interest in one or more design disciplines.
To show your interest in the position and/or provide us with information relevant to your application, please send your application to
We thank all applicants. Only those invited for interviews will be contacted.