13 Nov 2015
Professor and Department Chair | Department of Design and Industry | College of Liberal and Creative Arts | San Francisco State University
Department of Design and Industry, College of Liberal and Creative Arts at San Franciso State University
The Department of Design and Industry invites applicants for the position of Professor and Department Chair beginning August 2016. We are seeking individuals that will provide forward-thinking leadership to our small but dynamic design department. The university is currently investing significant resources to support and grow the department in an exciting period of expansion.
Applicants should have a background in design, industrial design, visual communication design (graphic design and digital media design), or interdisciplinary fields; management/administration experience; and demonstrated leadership skills.
Department of Design and Industry
The Department of Design and Industry (DAI) resides within the College of Liberal and Creative Arts, in an urban public university that values the creative arts and research. DAI offers two Bachelor of Science degrees (Product Design and Development and Visual Communication Design), and an MA degree. There are currently 250+ undergraduates and 10+ graduate students in the department. Our department comprises full- and part-time faculty, administrative staff, and technical support staff. DAI facilities include product design and print labs and a rapid prototyping lab, and we are currently building a new Design Gallery.
- Terminal degree, i.e. MFA, Ph.D., or equivalent, in a design discipline required.
- Expertise in leadership and administrative experience: At least two years of academic administrative experiences preferred; other forms of administrative and leadership experience will be considered.
- Strong background in design studio education with at least five years of university level teaching experience.
- Demonstrated success at teaching and student advising at the university level.
- Demonstrated ability to seek external funding.
- Ability to engage productively in institutional long range planning, including resource management, faculty development, and curricular development.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Knowledge of current technology and its relationship to creative design practice and production.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially with faculty, staff, students and administration
- Experience working with staff, overseeing facilities, and operational and equipment budgets.
The Department Chair is responsible for the administrative and educational functioning of the department and the implementation of the undergraduate major and the graduate program in Design and Industry. The position requires the management of budgets for faculty, staff, operations, and technology investments; development of class schedules and faculty teaching assignments; review of full time and part time faculty; promotion and maintenance of high standards of instruction; development of innovative new curricula; care of existing and future programs; and oversight of annual review of applicants to the program. Department chair will teach one design class per semester.
Rank and salary
Full Professor. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The CSU provides generous health, retirement and other benefits.
Submit letter of intent; a current CV; a concise statement of your leadership experience and style, your teaching philosophy, and current perspective on design education, as well as the names and contact information of three references. A portfolio of your research/creative work and letters of recommendation may be requested at a later date.
Submit all materials to Margaret Boehm, firstname.lastname@example.org by January 4, 2016. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. PDF format is preferred. Please include “DAI Chair Search” in the subject line.
San Francisco State University is a member of the California State University system which serves a diverse student body of 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The University seeks to promote appreciation of scholarship, freedom, and human diversity through excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment. SFSU faculty are expected to be effective teachers and demonstrate professional achievement and growth through research, scholarship, and/or creative work.
San Francisco State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity. We welcome applications from members of all ethnic groups, women, veterans, and people with disabilities.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.