Joseph Binder Award 2014: Short list announced
The members of the jury found that the level of quality was extremely high. They shortlisted 79 submissions, 36 of which will be honoured with a trophy (9 in gold, 14 in silver, 13 in bronze); 43 projects will receive a distinction. In the Design Fiction category, which is for independent projects and design concepts, money prizes totalling 6,000 euros will be awarded. The winners will be officially announced during the award ceremony, to be held on 23 October 2014 at the designforum Wien. On this occasion, designaustria will also present the bilingual catalogue on the Joseph Binder Award 2014 and open an exhibition highlighting all shortlisted projects. The Joseph Binder Symposium will take place on 24 October 2014.
More information on the award ceremony and symposium will be announced in due course at www.designaustria.at/jba14.
The Joseph Binder Award was first launched by designaustria in 1996. This international performance showcase for contemporary graphic design and illustration is held in the form of a competition every two years. Joseph Binder (1898–1972) was one of the founding fathers of designaustria, one of the oldest professional associations for design. His motto was: “Everything in design has a function. Design has a visual function. Design has a communicational function. Design has a motivational function.”
- Iva Babaja, Creative Director, Euro RSCG Zagreb, Icograda President
- Susanne Breitfeld, Communication Designer, Mainz, BDG Board Member
- Cinzia Ferrara, Graphic Designer and Architect, Palermo, AIAP Vice-President
- Andreas Jacobs, Communication Designer, Wilhelmshaven, AGD Chairman
- Franz Merlicek, Creative Director & Partner, Demner, Merlicek & Bergmann, Vienna, DA
- Laurent Graas, Partner & Strategic Director, Lola Communication, Design Luxembourg Board Member
- Karen Schmutz, Graphic Designer, Geneva, SGD Board Member
- Daina Vitolina, Graphic Designer, DIC, Riga, BEDA Board Member
- Franziska Walther, Illustrator, Weimar/Hamburg, IO Board Member
Each year, Icograda endorses a select group of activities internationally that advance our objective to promote the value of design. Endorsed events demonstrate that they enhance the standards of design, professional practice and ethics.
To learn more about Endorsements, visit here.