Icograda and Cumulus sign Memorandum of Understanding in Montréal
Montréal (Canada) - Icograda President Leimei Julia Chiu and Cumulus President Christian Guellerin signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) at the recent Icograda Board meeting held in Montréal (Canada). The agreement will pave the way for future collaboration between the two organisations. Cumulus - the International Association of Universities and Colleges of Art, Design and Media - counts 176 members across 44 countries while Icograda has 218 total members across 67 countries, of which 86 are educational institutions.
Following the agreement signing both presidents exchanged their organisation’s position and areas for collaboration. President Chiu outlined Icograda’s vision for the future – furthering collaboration with international Non-Governmental and Non-Profit Organisations (NGO/NPOs) and governments to raise the profile of creative industries and its impact on economic development and social innovation. President Guellerin emphasised that for Cumulus, a priority is to map the career arc for designers and broaden the scope from creative roles in an organisation to include key positions of influence in the business world.
Above: Icograda Board with Cumulus President Christian Guellerin. Photo by Gabriel Gosselin.
The Memorandum suggests several areas and initiatives for collaboration, highlights of which include:
- to promote co-operation between academic institutions and networks of higher education in art, design and media and the world of business and industry and other institutions relevant to both parties;
- to collaborate on joint projects such as competitions, exhibitions and awards to promote innovative work in art, design and media;
- to promote international best practices, principles and activities among the professional designers, design educators and students within their membership;
- to initiate multi-disciplinary collaboration transcending national borders;
- to initiate projects focusing on design for social innovation.
For more information, please contact:
Icograda is the world body for professional communication design. It is a non-profit, non-partisan, member-based network of independent organisations and stakeholders working within the multidisciplinary scope of communication design and expanded media. Founded in 1963, Icograda actively promotes the value of design practice, thinking, education, research and policy, representing more than 200 organisations in 67 countries and regions globally.
Cumulus - International Association of Universities and Colleges of Art, Design and Media - is a global association serving art and design education and research. It is a forum for partnership and transfer of knowledge and best practices. Cumulus aims to build and maintain a dynamic and flexible academic forum to bring together top level educational institutions from all parts of the world. Cumulus collaborates not only with institutions and organisations from the field of art, design and media, it also strongly encourages co-operation with industry and business.