Joseph Binder Award 2014: call for submissions
OutlineThis international competition for graphic design and illustration is held every two years and has been organised by designaustria (DA), the Austrian interest organisation and knowledge centre for design, since 1996. The competition is named after Joseph Binder, a founder member of designaustria and Austrian graphic designer and illustrator whose pioneering impact was felt in both Europe and the United States throughout the first half of the twentieth century.
Professional designers or design students enrolled in relevant courses from all over the world are invited to participate, either as individuals or teams. They may enter projects in the fields of graphic design and illustration (individual works or series) that were realised in 2012 and after by 31 March (early bird) or 31 May 2014. The number of entries is not limited.
- Iva Babaja, Creative Director, Euro RSCG Zagreb, Icograda President
- Susanne Breitfeld, Communication Designer, Mainz, BDG Board Member
- Cinzia Ferrara, Graphic Designer and Architect, Palermo, AIAP Vice-President
- Andreas Jacobs, Communication Designer, Wilhelmshaven, AGD Chairman
- Franz Merlicek, Creative Director & Partner, Demner, Merlicek & Bergmann, Vienna, DA
- Laurent Graas, Partner & Strategic Director, Lola Communication, Design Luxembourg Board Member
- Karen Schmutz, Graphic Designer, Geneva, SGD Board Member
- Daina Vitolina, Graphic Designer, DIC, Riga, BEDA Board Member
- Franziska Walther, Illustrator, Weimar/Hamburg, IO Board Member
CategoriesA. Graphic Design
- Corporate Design: Corporate identity programmes, logotypes, office stationary, etc.
- Communication Design: Advertisements, leaflets, brochures, annual reports, small-sized printed matter, etc.
- Information Design: User instructions, signage systems, forms, diagrams, etc. Type Design: Fonts, typefaces, lettering, etc.
- Poster Design: Indoor and outdoor posters of all formats and genres
- Editiorial Design: Books, catalogues, magazines, newspapers, etc.
- Packaging Design: Packaging graphics, labels, CD covers, etc.
- Book Illustration: Illustrations for children’s books, fiction, poetry, non-fiction, graphic novels, etc.
- Media Illustration: Illustrations for magazines, newspapers, etc.
- Commercial Illustration: Illustrations for advertising, displays, etc.
- Illustration in Miscellaneous Applications: Illustrations for diverse communication media
C. Design Fiction (special category)
- Unpublished works, independent projects, unrealized concepts, school projects, etc. in all graphic design and illustration disciplines
Works to be entered in several categories must be registered separately for each category.
Entries must be registered online at www.designaustria.at/jba14 before they are sent by post. After online registration, entrants will receive a number for each entry by e-mail.
For more information, please contact:
engagiert für Österreich als Designnation
Wissenszentrum & Interessenvertretung
knowledge centre & interest organization
designforum im MuseumsQuartier Wien
Museumsplatz 1, Hof 7, 1070 Wien
T (+43-1) 524 49 49-0
F (+43-1) 524 49 49-4
Each year, Icograda endorses a select group of activities internationally that advance our objective to promote the value of design. Endorsed events demonstrate that they enhance the standards of design, professional practice and ethics.
To learn more about Endorsements, visit here.